Thursday 17 March 2011

The elderly women at Madre Teresa


Madre Teresa also houses a few abandoned elderly women who have been sick but have no home or no relatives to take care of them. They live on the ground floor at Madre Teresa, share a bedroom with 8 beds with an attached bathroom. Some of the women are very sociable; Maria gives me a hug every morning when I come in. Joselita, a big busted woman is the ‘social leader’ of the elderly; she is very talkative and loves to play bingo as well as dominoes. She also likes nail polish and I painted her finger and her toe nails with the nail polish I brought from the CCS house. I also showed her some pictures from Switzerland and the Netherlands and she actually knew quite a bit about Europe. She told me that she loves the Beatles but that they only play religious songs on the radio. I wish I had some Beatles songs on my iPod, but I am not sure if the nuns would appreciate it. Vieira is s skinny older women that is very anti-social and just observes everything, sister Isaac told me that she didn’t even want to eat when she came to Madre Teresa. Aparecida is in a wheel chair but she is very open, however, she did have a headache today and didn’t want to do anything. We also made bracelets with the beads I brought from the CCS house. Just before lunchtime a mother and her daughter came, and we made two necklaces for them which put a big smile on their face. Both of them looked very scruffy and smelled pretty bad, and I can’t imagine what their lives must be like. The nuns at Madre Teresa feed some poor families in the neighborhood on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment